Monday, June 26, 2017

Explore What Illustrators Know & Do: Another Picture Book Writer's Tool - by Kathy Halsey

Last Monday we learned to use storytelling techniques thanks to author Lindsay BonillaToday we explore more in the second part of my series on new ways to see craft and story. We'll unpack the knowledge that illustrators employ in telling their story. Thinking like an illustrator is a great way to open up our writing even if we've never dabbled in art. 
I always leave room in my professional development playbook for an illustrator workshop to help me see with new eyes. Last Saturday the Ohio South Central SCBWI hosted a great 4 hour workshop with author/illustrator Lindsay Ward entitled "Write, Draw, Read, Repeat: How to Create Successful Picture books in Today's Children's Book Market." 
Author/ Illustrator Lindsay Ward

Lindsay began as an illustrator before she became an author; she works in cut paper, a very hands-on, painstaking process. Her first book, WHEN BLUE MET EGG, took her four years of work. She shared illustration "drafts" of cover designs, dummy pages, and most importantly for us writers-only folks, how she "sees" stories she creates. What follows are the takeaways I added to my writer's toolbox.

From the Illustrator's Mind
1. See the whole. Lindsay tapes/strings up her illustrations across her office to get a sense the organic whole of the story. Writers need to see tone, voice, and imagine pagination after a few drafts to get a sense of the true feel for the work.
2. Pagination and reading aloud. This is where Lindsay starts with a draft. We need to hear/feel page turns. Take your TBR stack and read aloud. Get to the point where you know the page turn because...
3. The page turn is the most powerful narrative tool. Treat it with respect. Use page turns to hide and reveal plot. They can set up the pacing, another big consideration in crafting a masterful picture book. Lindsay concentrates on keeping  a "visual pacing" going in her work.
See the personality reflected in each brother?
4. Characters need defining characteristic. Using BROBARIANS as a mentor text, Lindsay showed us several cover illustrations. She couldn't quite nail the cover until she saw the brothers per their defining characteristic. If you can't "get" your character while drafting or revising, amp up their defining characteristic ( just one, it is a PB) and follow that through the text. Lindsay suggests writing dialogue w/that defining trait to explore the character.
"Ahem, art notes??? Yes? No?
5. But what about art notes? Writers always want to know about the advisability of their inclusion. Our expert advised us that nine times out of ten, art notes are not necessary especially if they are descriptive. 
6. Finally, we received a list on what tools successful illustrators use: composition, perspective, color, line, action, focal point, gutter. Read some PB favorites and see how those elements are employed. And... how might we as writers use these tools to our benefit? 
Read this as a mentor text for action


So as we segue into summer, splash into new ways of writing thanks to Lindsay Ward. She has a fabulous web site, too.


Read this as a mentor text on composition



17 comments:

  1. Since a picture book is a collaboration between an author and an illustrator, it is important for a writer to see the manuscript through the eyes of an illustrator. The reminders to use descriptive words, and to consider page turns and the read aloud ability are excellent.

    Thank you, Kathy, for sharing Lindsay Ward's perspective as an illustrator. I requested BROBARIANS from our library system and look forward to reading it.

    ~Suzy aka Prairie Garden Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Prairie Girl, you will chuckle and it is a great read aloud, too. Ty for reading this post.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful thought-provoking post, Kathy. Since my artistic talents go no further than stick figures, I have a great admiration (and envy/jealousy) of those who can express themselves and a book's text in pictures. I look forward to reading more of Lindsay's books--with a new "eye", thanks to your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. I should have pursued my limited art talent back in HS.

      Delete
  3. Love this Kathy! So important to listen and learn from illustrators about page turns. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent showing of process and fine examples. Thank you, Lindsay and Kathy, for this inspiring post filled with toolbox advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay knows so much and is so willing to share, Charlotte.

      Delete
  5. FABULOUS post, Kathy! I really appreciate you sharing this. I love Lindsay's advice that page turns are uber important. I need to pay more attention to mine. And I'm happy to hear her take on ART notes...I'm always suggesting that critique buddies and clients cut out or severely edit the ART notes...glad to have a pro validate that. Super helpful share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vivian, for the share, too. I agree, too, re: art notes. I pride myself in leaving them out w/most of my work.

      Delete
  6. Another Amazing post, Kathy! I'm so glad you were thinking of all of the grog readers (like me!) and attending wonderful sessions & taking great notes at your latest conference. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, I love to share especially w/wonderful friends like YOU. This Ohio writer is a treasure.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful post, Kathy! I've been asked to go back to my realistic style for a bit, as no one 'gets' my chestnut characters. Maybe I'll bring them back someday with more 'traits' - first I have to get people (publishers) to recognize them, and that may be through bringing them back in through a better knowledgable realistic introduction...let me know if you have any other thoughts - as I liked your 'like' on the ones falling from the sky...I'm ordering BROBARIANS! THANKSS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you read Brobarians, look to see how the two boys are complimentary and also different. Good luck to you and the chestnuts.

      Delete
  8. Thank you both for a great post! I'm learning more and more how to approach writing picture books with respect to the page turn and potential for illustrations. This was very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so much more involved that folks think, right? TY, Randi for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. Love seeing writing through the eyes of illustrators! Yes, if nonpicturebook writers knew what goes into a picture book, I think they'd be shocked. Thanks for a great interview, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete