Thursday, June 8, 2017

CHARGE YOUR WRITING SUPERPOWERS WHILE YOU SLEEP!



By Janie Reinart

Do you want to increase your writing superpowers  while you sleep? 

We've all had the experience of going to sleep thinking about our writing and waking up--in the morning or the middle of the night--with just the right word or plot twist. 

Quick write it down so you don't forget! No matter how hard I try, I can't remember in the morning.

This new routine is a twist on morning pages,
called crystallized thinking.

 
This ten minute routine, is a fun way to jump start your creativity. The awesome sauce for your writing superpowers (your subconscious-awake 24/7) is to not only practice writing in the AM, but to prompt your subconscious with questions in the PM!

Before you go to sleep, direct your subconscious by journaling as many questions as you can about the writing project you are working on. 


“Never go to sleep without 
a request to your subconscious.”
— Thomas Edison


In the morning, before you look at emails or Facebook, or read the paper, empty your mind by writing down what ever flows from your pen.

I've added my own spin to the exercise by using different color pens for the AM and PM journaling.

My subconscious has given me some good answers and some I wasn't expecting.



One night, I wrote question after question about a nonfiction story set in World War II. Earlier that same day, I spoke to my three year old granddaughter.  

She wanted a snack. When she and her dad went to the pantry, Jane said,"Options, please."

The next morning, I started to journal excited to see what answers would appear for my World War II project. 

I was very surprised when Evelyn Armadillo showed up.
She couldn't make up her mind and said, "Options, please."

You never know where your superpowers will lead you.
Try crystallized thinking and see where you go. The more you practice, the more results appear.



37 comments:

  1. Oh, you have me intrigued about Evelyn Armadillo! I have not heard of this practice. Gonna try it this weekend. TY, Janie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good strategy. I'll have to try it. I did go to bed last night thinking about the plot of my story, but my dream had nothing to do with my story :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, write it down an maybe iti will have something to do w/it.

      Delete
    2. Oh no, Tina. I agree with Kathy😊 Try and write it down. Good luck.

      Delete
  3. Great ideas here, Janie. I can't wait to get started on this practice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll give this a try. I can see this working for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! The more I practice, the better it works. Let us know what happens 😊

      Delete
  5. What a refreshing way to look at our writing activities. A good jump starter for ideas and perhaps new writing trails to follow. Hope some folks follow up with how this worked for them. Thanks, Janie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri, I agree. Will be fun to see what happens 😊

      Delete
  6. I've had to stop working on my own writing, especially difficult points of a ms, in the evening because it tortures me all night and makes it really hard to sleep. I must be doing something wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe writing it down will rest your mind?

      Delete
  7. Love that "options please" :) I will try this method and see if I can break down those subconscious barriers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great suggestions, Janie! Wonderful ways to jump start your morning and those stories waiting to take form.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for writing about this, Janie! I've been wanting to start this kind of practice, but I usually jump out of bed and head into the day, including taking my son to camp/school. I had heard that it's important to do the morning journal just after you wake up, before you let other parts of your day filter into your consciousness. From your description, it sounds like I could wait until I actually sit down to write to process the night's "discoveries." Have you found this to be the case? Or do you do this immediately upon waking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try and write before things get too crazy-so soon after waking, before I start thinking too much😊 Maybe weekends would work?

      Delete
  10. Great post, Janie! I definitely want to try this. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh such a good post, with great strategy. Really a great way to take control of my writing life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you liked the post. Give it a whirl and let us know what happens or who shows up😊

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this idea, Janie! I use the notes feature on my phone and often wake up with ideas, but this exercise seems like it would yield more interesting results. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this great idea, Janie. I have used this technique for encouraging vivid dreaming, but I have never tried applying it to my writing. Can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE this idea! I'm a big dreamer and have incredibly vivid, detailed dreams. I'm looking forward to fueling the fire tonight!! 🔥 Thx for sharing this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting! And definitely worth a go!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to dream of terrific story ideas, which I couldn't remember after I woke. Then one night I was determined to remember the latest terrific idea I was dreaming. When I woke that time, I did remember. But it was absolutely the most stupid idea ever! So I suspect that my other nighttime ideas hadn't been so terrific either. :(
    I realize this isn't the same thing you spoke of (which is an excellent idea), but I had to share my goofy experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna,
      Me too! I would wake up and think I had the best idea ever. Even tried to scribble in a notebook in the dark lol. But they never seem as good as when the story is in your head. Thanks for sharing. :)

      Delete
  18. Just the other day I read about (mentally) asking yourself (@ bedtime) questions about things you want to resolve. For the past two nights I've been asking what the best way is to end one of my WIPs. Now I'm going to have pen and paper in hand and scribble away in the morning. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good luck , Mary😊 Let us know what happens. The more I practice this, the better the results.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for sharing this awesome tip! I recently tried this after reading your post, and it actually worked. The ending of my WIP was falling flat, so I spend some time asking questions about it before falling asleep. When I woke up the next morning I had an idea for a completely new ending that is much better than the first. Yay! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That is fabulous ❤️ Thanks for sharing.

      Delete