Friday, May 16, 2014

How to Write a Rebus Story by Tina Cho

One way to break into writing for children’s magazines is to write puzzles, activities, and rebus stories. That’s how I started writing long ago for Stories for Children and Clubhouse Jr. In fact, my fourth rebus will be published this summer in Clubhouse Jr.



A rebus story is a very short story that uses words and pictures that stand for words. These stories are written for young children just learning to read. Often, the endings of these stories include a surprise, a twist, or some kind of humor. I like to think of the ending as a punch line. Since these stories are for beginning readers, simple vocabulary and lots of repetition is best.

I get my rebus story ideas from activities my children do. For example, one time we went miniature golfing. That led to a sale, "A Golf Ball Mystery," in which a groundhog had stolen the ball out of the hole. Another summer we bought the kids insect nets for the clouds of dragonflies that hover in late summer. I wrote a rebus about my kids trying to catch dragonflies and butterflies. In my story, they caught nothing. But in the end, as they sat under a tree, Daddy caught them and took them out for ice cream. So this coming summer, look for great opportunities to turn a family outing into a story!


Before you write a rebus, check the magazine you’re targeting because each magazine has specific guidelines regarding word count. Study 3-5 rebuses of the magazine you want to write for. How many pictures do they include in the rebus? If the magazine seems to use 7-10 picture words, then try to write your story so it will include the same amount.

Formatting a rebus is a little different in that you need to tell the illustrator which words will be pictures. I use brackets around each word that will be a picture. Others highlight or underline the word they think will make a good picture. For example, this is how I typed the beginning from my rebus “Catching On,” Clubhouse Jr, June 2013. 

[Daddy] bought [Anna] and [Isaac] [butterfly] [nets]. [Anna] got a [pink net], and [Isaac] got a [blue net]. [Anna] ran through the [park] chasing [butterflies]. [Isaac] ran through the [park] chasing [dragonflies]. 

And here's what the beginning looks like in published form with the illustrations.

Here are a list of magazines that I know of that accept rebuses. Feel free to let me know of others, and I'll add them to the list!
  • Clubhouse Jr.
  • Highlights
  • Ladybug (Ladybug guidelines don't mention rebuses, but I know Ladybug has published rebuses.)
  • Turtle (Turtle guidelines don't mention rebuses, but they also publish them.)






42 comments:

  1. Congratulations on all those rebuses! This is a great post and I think a great summer goal for me would be to have a monthly rebus writing challenge and see what I can come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds fun, Laura! And I used my children's names on my rebuses, so my kids like seeing their names in print!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Thanks for sharing your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gladly, Sylvia. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made this sound so simple and fun, Tina. Great "how-to" and i am going to try it when I get in a writer's dead zone and feel I can not produce. Sounds like a fun way to write. My grandson Tobin at 4 is full of stories and summer fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope you like writing rebuses, Kathy. Do try it. Tobin (great name) will probably give u a number of ideas.

      Delete
  6. Very thorough, Tina. That's pretty much what is needed to write and submit rebus stories. I bold my picture-words, which seems to work. I have sold a few. They're great fun, and it's always such a treat to see how they're illustrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from another experienced rebus writer! Yes, I like seeing how they end up illustrated!

      Delete
  7. As I read, write, count, create and play with my preschoolers everyday, I enjoy watching them learn and grow and become emergent readers and writers. They like to read big books with *words to know* [high frequency words] and rebus stories. Your how to, Tina, is helpful and encouraging. I look forward to writing some rebus stories. ~Suzy Leopold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Suzy! I'm sure you can write a great rebus. Your preschoolers will be surprised when they learn YOU wrote it!

      Delete
  8. Terrific post, Tina! I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Patty! Let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for this, Tina. I have tried to write a rebus with no success. This encourages me go try again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do try again, Jarm. You have so many stories and knowledge!

      Delete
  10. This is a cool post - I had no idea what a rebus story was! ;) Thanks for teaching me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Erik. You've probably read them but didn't know what they were called.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations, Tina, on all these wonderful rebus sales!!!! And thanks for sharing the step by step process.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much, Nancy! Thanks for teaching me to write for children!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Tina! I was always curious about rebuses. I think I will give it a try for fun. Always nice to challenge ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super, Romelle! They are fun. Let me know if you get one published!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry I'm a bit late to your article, Tina. We were out of town. You did another great job with it and I enjoyed hearing about your examples. Congratulations on all those publications!! I've had fun with rebuses and agree they're a great way to break into magazine writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ev! Yes, they're a lot of fun to write.

      Delete
  16. In our critique group we have fun writing rebuses. One of our writers has sold them to Highlights on more than one occasion. A great exercise & to actuallly have one published means a writer has skills many of us still need to perfect. Congrats, Tina! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan, for the compliment. That's neat you do rebus writing as a group!

      Delete
  17. Thanks for this post, Tina! I've been saving it in my Inbox and got to it this evening. I've always loved Rebus stories. Maybe I'll write one some day :-) I appreciate you sharing your process. Very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Penny. Yes, you'd be great at writing rebuses!

      Delete
  18. Great post TIna! I have been tossing around several Rebus story ideas and this is the inspiration that I need to set them down on paper. I too set the post aside for the time I was ready to start. Tonight's the night! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy for you, Mary! I'm glad this was helpful and hope to see your rebus published soon!

      Delete
  19. Hi Tina, I'm finally getting around to reading blogs. Thank you for sharing how to write a rebus, and for the links. And congratulations on getting published again. Very inspiring. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tracy! I was thinking of you and your blog the other day.

      Delete
  20. Great post! I haven't ever read about the set up of a rebus before. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry I never read this one, Tina! Excellent instructional post....and congrats on your success with rebuses. And thanks for the links to the magazines that might be interested in them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Vivian! Give rebuses a try sometime!

      Delete
  22. This is a great article. Thanks also for the list of possible markets.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for this info, and congrats on your success in this area, Tina. I used to love reading these when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I think kids still enjoy them, especially beginning readers.

      Delete
  24. Great post, Tina. Thanks for sharing your successes and for the markets.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for this article, Tina! I have rebus pieces that I'd like to see in publication - your article encourages me to keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for this article, Tina! I have rebus pieces that I'd like to see in publication - your article encourages me to keep trying.

    ReplyDelete