Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Author Kim Teter & her FIRST book. Say Ciao! if you like VENICE


How would you like to research your first novel for students while visiting Venice?
That's what one author did.
And the result is history-drenched results in the poignant, ISABELLA's LIBRETTO.




Kim Cross Teter is a debut novelist who traveled far to research her
historical fiction story of a unique young musician.
Isabella, age 14 or 15, has no real family name because she is a Venice, Italy foundling.
The setting is a real Venice orphanage of the early 1700s.
And the celebrity character woven deeply into the story actually worked in the real orphanage! He was world-renowned composer Antonio Vivaldi.
Like the best historical fiction sleuths, Kim uncovered a little-known fact;
Vivaldi conducted an all-girl orchestra. This is the setting of ISABELLA'S LIBRETTO.


I met my new friend author Kim Cross Teter at AUTHORS in APALACH, a Florida coastal weekend connecting avid readers to constant scribblers. I couldn’t wait to get my copy autographed for me. I’m glad to “see” Kim again today at our Group Blog. Please give this former Nashville area bookseller & future multi-book novelist, a warm welcome for her debut & award-winning, story, ISABELLA’s LIBERTTO.




Q

What was it like to walk through the functioning building in Venice, which was the site of the former, historic, Ospedale della Pieta? Is the copy of the Pieta still there?

Today, one of the buildings that comprised the orphanage contains offices and a small museum that documents the history of the Ospedale della Pietà, but the building where Isabella and her friends lived in 1715 is now the Metropole Hotel.

I was very disappointed that the music hall where Vivaldi worked with the girls has been turned into hotel rooms, but I was able to walk up the same staircase that those amazing women climbed 300 years ago. I did stop half way up with a sense of wonder about the history that had unfolded in that space. I also had the luxury of an afternoon without a schedule so that I could wander the lanes around the ospedale and soak up the atmosphere, and of course, I followed the path that Isabella and Catherine took to see the fireworks!

The statue of the Pietà that is so important to Isabella is a creation of my imagination.  The stunning church that is known today as “Vivaldi’s Church” wasn’t built until the 1740’s. Before that time a church was connected to the ospedale, and what remains of that church is now the bar in the Metropole Hotel! I knew that the earlier version of the church contained at least four statues, so I thought it fitting that one of them might be the representation of the Pietà, which was a common theme of art. 

(Below, author Kim Teter at the former Ospedale in Venice, Italy)





Q

The characters Cecilia and Catherine are Isabella's close pals. And then young Monica arrives, in need of great compassion and understanding. Is there something about all-girl schools that forge friendships deeper than would otherwise be possible?

I think that in the case of Isabella and her friends, the bond that connects them so strongly is the lack of parents and a traditional family.  Because each of them yearns for a sense of belonging, they become sisters in the truest sense of the word and nurture each other. In my depictions of the girls’ associations with the older women, I was influenced by memories of my experience in a Catholic grade school.  Signora Priora is very closely modeled on my own perception of my sixth-grade teacher, Sister Felicitas.

Q
You don't play an instrument yet music is a big part of your life. Explain.

Oh, I fully credit my children with my love of music!  
All three of them—Caitlin, Sean, and Claire--were very talented musicians who took private lessons and played in school ensembles, as well as the community youth orchestra.  When my oldest declared her desire to major in music education, I took a music appreciation course to learn more about the passion that was so important in their lives. It was in this class that I learned about Vivaldi and his association with this remarkable all-female orchestra.  My kids have been my biggest cheerleaders with Isabella’s Libretto, and all have helped me in one way or another.  Claire even took one for the team and accompanied me to Venice.

Q
Your next novel is set in your home state. Can you share a bit about the kinds of research you are tackling for it?

During and shortly after World War II, more than 45,000 prisoners of war were interned in Texas.  I grew up in the Texas Panhandle, and an Italian POW camp was based not far from my hometown of Amarillo.  This summer I’ll be visiting the site of this camp to learn more about a fascinating set of events that took place there (and I only found out about them recently).  I’m hoping to interview some people who still might remember some of the details.  And then I’d like to go to Italy and find some of the former prisoners there who might still be alive. (Because I think all research should involve a trip to Italy—ha!)



Q
As a first-time novelist, can you share two or three tips you wished you had known at the beginning of this quest? (And the Texas POW story sounds like one we all want to read.)

I certainly did not foresee how much time I would need to spend promoting and marketing Isabella’s Libretto!
I am published by a small press, but I’ve spoken with authors who are published by bigger houses who say the same thing. I have struggled with my balance between promoting this book and writing the next, and I have tremendous admiration for those people who are succeeding in this area. That said, I also could not have anticipated how many dear friendships I would gain as I have traveled throughout the Southeast to talk about Isabella’s Libretto, and how much I would enjoy the experience of festivals, school visits, and book signings. I have been extraordinarily blessed to meet and get to know very kind people who are generous in wanting to help others.  
One of those is you, Jan Godown Annino, and I hope to see you again in the Florida Panhandle or at another literary event.  Grazie mille for giving me a chance to share some of my experiences with my debut novel. And best of luck to you!

Q A bit of aw, shucks here Kim. Thank you, right back!
It’s a joy to return to your site & see new posts about new fans for your novel:

My hubby and I were recently in several coastal towns, including Apalachicola, Florida. This time it was an opportunity to watch modern day impressionist painters work in the open air, at a variety of locations. And I was soaking up more history for one of my works-in-progress, a MG novel set along the Florida coast, but not so long ago - the early 1970s. Paolo & I thought of not only visual artists, but writers & musicians, who can all draw inspiration from charmed historic setting, wherever they are. So glad the City of Venice, Italy, was your muse, Kim.

+ GIVE AWAY!
One of the commentors can receive an autographed copy of Kim's ISABELLA' S LIBRETTO. Please check back near May 15, 2015 to see if you have won.

8 comments:

  1. What an interesting glimpse into the genesis of this book! Very cool. Am sharing w/WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciations to Kim & Kathy.

    + GIVE AWAY!
    For a signed copy of ISABELLA's LIBRETTO, check back here Friday May 15, 2015 in the comments section to see if it is yours.
    If you want to comment but can't use a lovely debut novel just now, for yourself or a school, just say you are opting out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great premise for your book, Kim! Vivaldi's music is beautiful. How neat you can travel around for research. Thanks for the interview, Jan and Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciations to you Tina.
      Me thinks you are experiencing the most interesting travel over there on the other side of the World.

      Delete
  4. I love how this book came to be! As a writer of historical fiction myself, it is so much fun to hear how others conduct research. I am enthralled at the depths you went to make ISABELLA'S LIBRETTO happen. I would LOVE to win a copy of this wonderful book! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darlene,
      Something about historical fiction adds a depth to characters, settings & extra enjoyment for the reader, I've always thought.
      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  5. Inspiring and intriguing. I want to read this book.

    ReplyDelete