Friday, July 10, 2015

Part II Hearing Voices: 6 Steps I Used For Creating An Anthology

Dog tags by Lesley Blake
These love stories show the heartache and joy, the fear and pride of mothers awaiting the safe return of their soldiers. The beginning of the article (first three steps), Part I Hearing Voices: 6 Steps I Used For Creating An Anthology can be found here.




4. Search For A Publisher

My first query was sent to a large publishing house interested in war memoirs. My query was rejected. I sent a second query letter with three requested chapters and book outline to a regional press. I approached Gray & Company, Publishers,because they had published a book similar in format to what I envisioned for Love You More Than You Know. After two weeks, I received a call from the publisher. (I was shaking when I found out who it was on the phone.) He was interested, but wanted more stories than I currently had.





5. Call for Submissions

The initial collection included only a dozen stories. I needed to reach more contributors. I had tried word of mouth, personal contacts, referrals, speaking engagements, and articles in the local community newspaper.

Regina Brett

Looking for a larger network, I turned to Regina Brett, a columnist at the Cleveland Plain Dealer, to put out a call for submissions. She graciously featured the vision for our anthology in her column and on her radio show on WCPN FM, our local NPR affiliate. The response was overwhelming. Military moms from Ohio stepped forward and their writing would become the mouthpiece for the world community.





After I arrived home from downtown Cleveland from the radio show, my inbox was filled with inquiries about submissions for the anthology. To organize the flood of e-mails, I painstakingly added names to my computer address book. I placed each story into its own electronic folder and included pictures, and author biographies. The stage was set. I invited contributors to join a blog for encouragement and tips as the writing began. Within a few months of selecting, editing,(I cried through editing 70,000 words), and compiling a manuscript, there were more stories to send to the publisher.

6. Secure Release Forms

Release forms are legally required from authors, and photographers, for text and photos used in the anthology. Deployed soldiers also needed to grant us permission to use their letters, e-mails, and pictures included in their mother’s stories. Each family was sent release forms with a self-addressed stamped envelope to be returned to me. Depending on the situation, international phone calls, e-mails, and even PDF files containing signed release forms helped complete the process. All the release forms were sent to the publisher by registered mail.




The Power of Anthology

When the book was published (on May 1, 2009, my birthday) and we gathered for our book launch, contributors hugged their copies close and some shed tears. Although the mothers in the anthology did not receive monetary compensation, they wanted to be part of this powerful chorus of voices. They wanted to be heard “loud and clear.” One mother confided that to this day, she carries her story in her purse everywhere she goes so that it is always with her. Another mom told how she cried the whole time she was writing, but felt like she was starting to heal. These 45 powerful tales of love, faith, and courage, remind our readers that our children stand in front of our flag, risking their lives so that we can live ours.









10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful project you took on! And it gave you some great editing experience. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina all the editing that year had to be finished around Christmas. It was hectic, but so exciting.

      Delete
  2. This was so inspiring. Are you going to bring the anthology to WOW Retreat? I hope you do. Great look into your journey, Janie. I am proud to know you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. I will try and squeeze my copy in my suitcase for the Retreat. I had as many moms as I could sign their name on their chapters in my book. I read a story at the launch from the mom of a Navy SEAL, because they never reveal who they are. I found out later that she was in the audience. I was so happy that I could be her voice.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this series on publishing an anthology. I was challenged a few months ago with this idea and didn't have a clue where to begin, so just pushed it to the back of my mind. Now after reading your steps, I'm rethinking it all. I have a question though regarding your first dozen stories you sent to the publisher. Did you ask those people if they would write a story for an anthology that you were hoping to get published understanding that it was at the very beginning stages of it all?
    This has me getting excited...Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MaDonna, Yes, I told them I would do my best to find a publisher, but that I had no guarantees. When I contacted Regina, and was on the radio show, I could say I had a publisher that was interested, but again no guarantees. So excited for you. Good luck on your project!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful labor of love and story about the road to publication! Congrats on your success, Janie! Where there's a will, as they say...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Jilanne. The editor told me after the book was published that he knew it would happen because every time he gave me an assignment, I would get it done on time or even a few days early :) Persistence is key! It took three years start to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janie: I have learned so much with the two posts that you shared about writing anthologies. Thank you for sharing how Love You More Than You Know came together for you and Mary Anne. Beautiful. I am thankful for your children and mine as they believe in our great nation providing us with many freedoms and opportunities.
    ~Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an excellent short course, Janie.
    Also, as a former newspaper writer, columnist & editor I luv it that it helped in such a huge way.
    Your three year effort sounds like a winner in hearts but also in sales & recognitions.

    ReplyDelete