Are you ready for a little fun? Here are five clues about the author of today's book recommendation. Here we go!
The author of this book:
- Was a Reading teacher for 20 years.
- At the age of 40 she began a writing career. She is now 81 years young.
- She is an author of many highly acclaimed books for children. She has written more than 90 children's books that include two Newbery Honor award books.
- "Don't fool with me, or you're going to appear in a book," she told her husband Jim. And sure enough he is.
- Together with her children, Ali, Jim and Bill, the family opened a bookstore called Dinosaur's Paw in 1990.
- This amazing author has written across genres that include picture books, novels, nonfiction and several series.
- She claims, "I have no special talent. I never took a writing course before I began to write.
- And here's the final clue . . . Her initials are PRG.
Did you guess Patricia Reilly Giff?
Well, you are correct! Hip, hip, hooray for you!
And here is the recently published chapter book on the craft of writing:
WRITING WITH ROSIE
YOU CAN WRITE A STORY TOO
By Patricia Reilly Giff
A Holiday House Book
Ages 8-12 [Don't let this stop you!]
Patricia Reilly Giff and her rambunctious golden retriever, Rosie share the process of writing fiction that includes tips and step by step specific examples from many of her previously written books.
Mrs. Giff talks about a little of this and a little of that to make the page of a book right. The just right story blends action, dialogue and description.
"First you take a person.
Put him in a place.
Give him a problem.
Make him move [That's the action.]
Make him talk. [That's the dialogue.]
Make him worry about the problem.
Let the problem get worse and worse.
And in the end . . .
You know what to do!
Go for it!"
Time for you to check out the book. Happy reading and writing.
For more about Patricia Reilly Giff check out this link on Book Browse or this biography on Scholastic.
|About the Author|