Wednesday, February 18, 2015

An Author Interview with Janet F. Smart ~By Suzy Leopold

What a great opportunity, I had to interview an author who is self published. Let me introduce you to Janet F. Smart

Q: Tell us about your self-published book Fun Through the Seasons: Recipes, Crafts and Fun Facts for Kids. Share other published credits, if you would like.

A: I self-published Fun Through the Seasons last year. I have been a columnist for Two-Lane Livin’ Magazine since October 2009. I gathered my fun articles, which included stories, poems, easy recipes and crafts, and put them together to form my book. It is appropriate for kids K-5th grade, with help from parents for the younger ones. You can buy it at Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

Fun Through the Seasons
Recipes, Crafts and Fun Facts for Kids
Here is the link to Amazon.
Q: What is your current WIP or next project?
A: I have a number of WIPs. Of course, every month I write a new column for Two-Lane Livin’ Magazine. I am also working on a poetry book for children and a chapter book. And I never know when a new picture book idea will pop into my head. I just finished editing one of my very first picture books. It is a completely different version of the first manuscript—and a lot better. I am anxious to start sending it out again.
Janet F. Smart's
Writing Desk
Q: What inspired you to write?
A: Family! I wrote a picture book about picking berries with my mom, Grandma, Aunt and cousin. Of course, I thought it was a wonderful story. But, I started going to a writing group that met in Ripley every week and I discovered I didn’t know a thing about writing. But, I learned fast. And, since then, I have incorporated a lot of family memories into my writing. I’ve written two novellas—one based on the early life of my grandparents and one based on Mom’s life before she was married. Both of my middle grade manuscripts take place in the early 1960s. One is based on what I would like to have happened to me when I was young and the other is based on a vague memory I had of something that happened in the fall of 1962. I recently placed first in our local library’s annual writing contest in the memoir category. My submission was about my dad and the things he kept. It was titled, Life in a Footlocker.
Q: What words of wisdom or advice do you have for pre-published writers?
A: If you love to write, my words of wisdom to you would be to keep writing. Do not give up. Writing isn’t as easy as some people think. Don’t send in your first draft. Have others read it and edit, edit, edit until you get it right. Develop a tough skin and accept constructive advice. Your manuscript will thank you.
Q: Where can readers find out more about you?
A: I am on Facebook. I have a writing blog, personal blog and author site. I would love for you to come and follow me on my blogs and visit my author’s site and look around. You will find out a little more about this persistent, aspiring author who loves gardening, genealogy, traveling West Virginia, crafting, collecting, sewing and hunting Indian arrowheads.  
A blue jean quilt
made by Janet
Creative Writing in the Blackberry Patch at http://creativewritingintheblackberrypatch.blogspot.com/
Writing in the Blackberry Patch at http://janetsmart.blogspot.com/
Janet F. Smart, Children’s Author at http://janetfsmart.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html
Janet at
New River Gorge Bridge 

Thank you, Janet for sharing your writing journey with us. I enjoyed getting to know you and all about your writing.

28 comments:

  1. Enjoyed this interview and meeting Janet. Always great to meet someone who shares many of the same hobbies and interests. And, West Virginia is a great state to explore...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Darleen, learning about Janet and her creative world is delightful. Writers not only share their love of the written word, they share creativity. Just like Janet, I too, enjoy sewing for the grands and toiling in the soil of our prairie garden. I look forward to visiting the great state of West Virginia some day. ~Suzy

      Delete
    2. Hi, thanks for coming over and reading about me. I was just over at your site and read about Sarah. She's a fellow West Virginian and I have met her a number of times.

      Delete
    3. Once again, thank you Janet, for sharing your writing journey with us on our GROG Blog. ~Sue

      Delete
  2. How nice to see Janet here. I never miss reading her blog. In enjoyed the interview, but I must admit there is something quite disturbing about that photo of her desk. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And how nice to see you here, Rosi. Thank you for reading the GROG Blog post about Janet today. My writing desk is not as neat as Janet's desk. ; ] ~Suzy

      Delete
    2. Hi Rosi, thanks for coming over and commenting. I admit I did a little straightening up before taking that pic of my desk :o)

      Delete
  3. Nice to meet you, Janet! Best of luck with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet: Patty is my GROG writerly friend who enjoys writing fiction, nonfiction and poetry.

      Patty: Thank you for reading all about Janet and her self published book, Fun Through the Seasons Recipes, Crafts and Fun Facts for Kids.

      Delete
  4. Janet,
    Thanks for letting us get to know you here on the GROG. I wish you well and look forward to reading your future work. Thanks for helping us see a bit into the self-published world too. What advice would you give to other authors about self-publishing?
    Thank you,
    Todd Burleson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Todd, thanks for commenting. I hope to someday have more of my manuscripts published. I self-published this book, because with the type of book that it was, I thought it would be a hard sell to regular publishers (it has activities, stories, articles, poems, recipes and crafts in it). I used Create Space. They are very good to deal with. They will help you for a fee or you can do it all yourself and not pay anything. I chose to do it myself - and if I can do it - anybody can. If you choose to self-publish, please make sure your manuscript is ready. Let other eyes see it and be open to their suggestions. And, get a hard copy of your manuscript to look at before you okay it for publication.

      Delete
    2. Janet: Todd, our GROG Leader, has posed an excellent question. Thank you for answering his question along with sharing some oustanding tips that one needs to consider. All the best as you continue to write and publish your thoughts.

      Delete
  5. Great interview! Moms should pick up a copy of your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer - one of my critique partners. Thanks and I think they should, too :o)

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Jennifer for stopping by the GROG Blog to read about your critique partner. I enjoyed interviewing Janet and learning more about her. ~Suzy

      Delete
  6. You've come a long way, Janet. Plus you quilt. Congrats. Your desk is so neat. Maybe you should tidy mine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. But, I have to admit my desk doesn't always look that neat. Sometimes I can't find a thing I'm looking for. And sometimes, while looking, I find things that I forgot I had.

      Delete
    2. Hi Carol, Janet's neat and tidy desk makes mine look like a disaster. I love the amazing quilt that Janet made. My Mom made several blue jeans for our boys. ~Suzy

      Delete
  7. So happy for Janet that she has reworked one of her first PB manuscripts and is sending it out soon. Wishing her the best of luck. What an organized desk! Wishing Janet the best of luck! :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DMS AKA Jess for sharing your words of encouragement for your writerly friend, Janet. ~Sue AKA Suzy

      Delete
  8. Janet, hello.
    Thank you for being interviewed here on Group Blog with Suzy. I enjoyed everything you said.
    Congratulations on your writing journey. I'm glad you found a writing group.
    I'm especially intrigued by your capturing a vague memory... I think those glimpses & whispers that tug us can lead to great fiction & storytelling.
    I enjoyed your answer to Todd about Create Space. As someone who hasn't taken the jump into self-publishing, it's a brave new world to be your own publisher & each detail about someone's experience is good to know.
    Please keep up with our community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jan. Thanks, I love putting memories into my fiction writing. Good luck with your writing.

      Delete
  9. And hello to you, Jan, in the sunshine state. Thank you for takng a moment to catch up on some GROG posts and reading All About Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed this interview of Janet Smart very much. I have her book and it is wonderful. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment is appreciated Brenda. Make sure you check out today's GROG post. We are celebrating a one year anniversary with birthday gifts. ~Suzy

      Delete
    2. Hi Brenda. Thanks for coming over and reading my interview. And, thanks for your praise of my book!

      Delete