Monday, April 6, 2015

Pinterest for Writers Part 1 by Tina Cho

Bulletin Board clip artRemember the days of cork bulletin boards? Today's generation can use a virtual bulletin board called Pinterest, thanks to Ben Silbermann, Paul Sciarra, and Evan Sharp who started the web site in 2009 after seeing that people needed a place to put images of products they'd like to buy. Since then, Pinterest has taken off.

The Pinterest web site describes this social media as "a place to discover ideas for all your projects and interests, hand-picked for people like you."

Watch the short video about Pinterest.


Why should writers care about Pinterest when they're already inundated with other social media platforms? Glad you asked!

Mia Wenjen, a prominent blogger and social media user I found on Twitter, wrote an excellent blog post called "Social Media Marketing 101 for Authors." I highly recommend you read this! Mia suggests that of all social media platforms, "Pinterest is where it is at. Pinterest is the number one driver of referral traffic for all bloggers that I know."

Check out these stats from Pinterest:




So writers, if you haven't already, join Pinterest! It's free, but you have to have an invite from a friend. (I can send you one if you need; let me know in the comments.)

Once you're a member, you create thematic boards and pin anything to your board with virtual bookmarks called pins. (see movie above) Popular boards are crafts, recipes, home decorating and remodel ideas, etc... But writers can take advantage of these boards as well. 

  • pin photos of the setting of your story
  • pin photos of people whom your characters are based upon
  • start a board on mentor texts (Our grogger Marcie Atkins has many already)
  • pin web sites of writing classes you want to take
  • pin covers of books you want to read or have read
  • pin THINGS YOU'VE WRITTEN (and your family and friends will repin them)
  • pin articles for research
Okay, the sky's the limit, and this post is too long. Let's continue Pinterest for Writers Part 2 on April 15th. See you then!







29 comments:

  1. I'm surprised and pleased by the stats you presented. This definitely sounds like something I need to be a part of. Could you please invite me? Thanks for the good ideas and the resources for getting started. Looking forward to Part 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just messaged you for your email. Yea!

      Delete
  2. Tina, I am there, but not very active. I will dedicate more of my "non-wriitng" time to learning more about Pintrest. I think i have everything on ONE board. Informative, easy-to-follow post. Looking forward to part 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. I'll have to look you up. You must be very busy with moving into your new house. ?

      Delete
    2. Kathy, I'm the same way. I have everything on one board. This blog clarifies it for me. These are great ideas for boards especially because picture book writing is so visual.

      Delete
  3. Tina, thanks for this. I am taking a class to help me develop my presence on Pintrest. I love it! Looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, fun, a class on using Pinterest? You'll have to teach me any neat things u learn!

      Delete
  4. Yeah, Tina! Great info. I have to be careful about how much time I spend on the boards because it is so much fun! I have been meaning to make a board on favorite quotes about writing. Looking forward to part 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janie. Yes, I just started a board about that, too.

      Delete
  5. Pinterest offers inspiration and many ideas for writers, readers, teachers, and those who enjoy learning, growing and creating. Pinterest is an excellent personalized media platform. I love pinning on my many Pinterest boards. Thank you, Tina. I look forward to Part II.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I was impressed by those figures as well, Tina--wow. I'm on Pinterest but I tend toward general writing stuff rather than specific. I wonder about putting too much about a pre-pubbed book out there...perhaps it won't feel fresh if it's been on the boards a while. And perhaps that's going to be in Part II. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Cathy, which is why I made my board secret.

      Delete
  7. Great post, Tina! I've been on Pinterest for a while...but don't really do very much there. One of the most important things I was told is that if you have a board, it should have at least 4 or 5 pins...enough to fill the photo blocks...otherwise it looks like you start boards and don't pursue them.
    Mia has an amazing blog, doesn't she? I've connected with her on some of her book projects for kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that IS a great tip, Vivian. I'll have to put that in part 2. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Tina, your blog post wasn't too long. I joined Pinterest, but my boards are quite scattered. And I haven't been giving Pinterest the attention I know it deserves. It is quite addictive. I do browse through Pinterest when I'm looking for ideas to draw. Thanks for the information. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Tracy. Yes, sometimes I forget about Pinterest until I need a creative idea.

      Delete
  9. I love Pinterest, Tina! I have boards related to my two upcoming books, as well as boards for things that interest me (and may develop into a book?). I think I'm going to start one for rhyming books -- people are making suggestions on RhyPiBoMo and I'd like to gather them into one spot to help me check them out. Looking forward to part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Tina, you are the champ! I *just* opened a Tweeter account, and almost immediately felt overwhelmed. You are fearless, girl.
    You make excellent points in this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mirka! You'll have to give me your twitter name.

      Delete
  11. I did a board of girl scarecrows to help me envision a character in one of my stories. Pinterest is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've used it in your writing for character development. Awesome idea!

      Delete
  12. Hi Tina, of all social media platforms, Pinterest and Goodreads are my absolute favourites. I love looking at pretty things (paintings, illustrations, book covers, and pictures of places I'd love to visit) and reading motivational quotes. I haven't found it extremely effective in marketing my book and blog there, still, I like the exchanges of tastes and have discovered so many new books. (Oh, and if there's a BlueBoards board there, I'd love to join.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claudine. I agree...I've just started using it in my writing. Hmm, I've never heard of the Blueboards having their own Pinterest board. I'll keep my eyes and ears open tho!

      Delete
  13. Hi Tina,
    Thanks for your great post. Will you be sharing how to pin our own things onto pinterest?
    I looked at Marcie Atkin's mentoring books board and just started following her. I'll be following you, also.
    I have some really great boards I think you might enjoy Claire@ A Field Trip Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow, Claire, and I'm now following some of your boards. I'll see if I can answer your question in the next post. thanks!

      Delete
  14. Tina, luv this post and luv Pinterest. I joined & am amazed at the gre8t images I find. Never have bought anything from it but use it as a resource for books from the library. Also people are pinning from my pages! I don't see any pinterest handles here but I'm happy for more Group Blog followers at

    https://www.pinterest.com/bookseedstudio/

    And I have enjoyed following invites from Group Bloggers! '

    Great post, Tina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. I added our groggers' Pinterest pages on part 2.

      Delete