Friday, April 24, 2015

Wherever You Go: A Moving Experience by Kathy Halsey, inspired by Pat Zietlow Miller

I hope this post inspires you and me. Sometimes we writers must write for us, and that's where I am today after moving from Phoenix AZ back to Columbus OH. That's about 1,870.7 miles with a Corgi, according to this cake my husband's congregation gave us. 
I welcome new adventures, just like the rabbit does in Pat Zietlow Miller's new rhyming PB, WHEREVER YOU GO. In fact, this inspiring book was literally on my door step the day we received keys to Hedley Place. This cheery book, reminded me that I can always find the road home again. But, it HAS been hard to keep my writing momentum going for the least 2 months.
Pat's opening lines reminds us to "just open your door." She tell us that "Roads...reach;" and "Roads...grow," and "Roads...climb."
My road to Ohio has loomed like a mountain. But the rabbit and Pat remind us on our ascent, we'll be 
"Clinging to cliffs,
Chasing a cloud.
Reaching the top.
tired but proud." 
So what did I do when life made it hard to write? Here's what helped and is still helping:
1. Pack a writing notebook and a WIP. I did jot notes and ideas as we traveled, but I never touched the WIP. Just having it in the car made me think about another way to approach the story, though.
2. Keep reading & connecting. I  kept up nightly w/FB posts on writing. It was all my brain could manage, but my tribe nourished me.
3. Look at illustrator Eliza Wheeler's spread above. Our MC, Mr. Rabbit, found some friends to help him climb. I began to connect to Ohio writers before I left AZ. I emailed my SCBWI Ohio RA, made plans to meet YA writer Jody Casella (THIN SPACE, YA debut) in person, and attend a critique group that meets at the Upper Arlington library monthly. 
4. Make commitments. I won't wobble off the road if I make promises to others. This week:author interview Monday w/Patricia Toth, this GROG post, and the Ohioana Book Festival Saturday where I'll meet Jody and an old friend from the Sate Library of Ohio. 
5. Grow your road and make it new. I have a new office set-up, my files are organized, and my picture book/middle grade library is alphabetized now. 


I am tired, proud, and I have this lovely tree, new to me, in my backyard! Thanks to Pat Zietlow Miller - I also have inspiration to keep going for the summit.



17 comments:

  1. Sometimes, transplanting yourself leads to unexpected blooms. May you and your writing talent thrive in your new garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this hasn't been an easy road, Kathy. But Pat's words and your perseverance through this transition time will see you through. Hang in there and enjoy the book festival this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased you came by to read this, Dianne. I look forward to better days ahead.

      Delete
  3. Kathy: Wherever you go, may there be reading, writing and creating for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post, Kathy -- I admire your spirit so much! I bought a copy of WHEREVER YOU GO just today and its message is the perfect combination of courageousness, confidence and comfort. Good luck as you start anew in Ohio. That new office of yours is just waiting for you to sit down and write something wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Patty. I love how organize fit is. It makes me feel calm. TY always for your friendship and support.

      Delete
  5. Good for you! I'm sure you'll have your mojo back in no time. Life can be distracting, but sometimes it gives us what we need without us knowing it—only to figure that out in hindsight. Good luck and may the muse be with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Jilanne, may t emus capture that pesky NF PB of yours, too.

      Delete
  6. I am so glad you wrote this post. It is exactly what I needed to hear. I may not be 'moving' but I am in a HUGE transition. It's made it difficult to write. While my 'path' might be a little different the road is not. I am so pleased to know you are getting settled and thrilled to know you are a few miles from my family. That means I will be visiting you when I visit them soon! See what I did there? Invited myself! Thank you for your words, passion and journey my friend.
    TB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Todd, my friend and bother, I cannot wait to see you in Ohio. I can tell your energies are going towards the maker space, but you are sowing seed for our future and the kids future and who knows what road this new journey will turn to in your writing. Love K

      Delete
  7. What an encouraging post Kathy, full of ideas I can use. I have had several weeks of little writing, as my husband was ill and then in hospital almost two weeks. He's out now but has several months of recovery - which means my routines will still be unsettled. But your message made me smile and realize there is a lot I can do (and should be doing!). Love your new workspace. All the best on your new move.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you'll bloom again in Ohio! I can't wait to read Pat's new book either. You're so proactive, meeting OH writers and setting things up before you moved. Way to go, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to have met you, Kathy, at last! And so happy that you have moved back to Ohio : )

    ReplyDelete