Tuesday, March 4, 2014

How to Use Word Clouds to Create Stunning Graphic Designs




As writers, we work with words.  Today I’m going to share with you part one of a two part series about word cloud creation tools.  Wordle is a tool that has been around for a while.  Most of us have seen Wordle Word Clouds. Wordle allows you to choose font, color and arrangement of the words to make very attractive visual representations of the words you input.  The feature that I love most about Wordle is that the more times a particular word or is input, the larger the word becomes in the final design.  This is a fun way to analyze your text.  For example, I took the text of Dr. Seuss’ Oh the Places You’ll Go and made a word cloud out of it.  I thought it was interesting that the words waiting and go showed up so large in the design.  It’s kind of fun to see how those two words pop out of the design.

I have a PDF of these steps at the bottom of this post.  


It’s really simple to create a basic Wordle.  Simply copy and paste in your text.  (There is a more advanced set of features which we’ll look at later in the tutorial.) Then hit GO.

You’ll see that it randomly arranges the words, chooses fonts and colors for you.  If you like it, swell.  If you don’t, all you need to do is make some adjustments.  


Hit Randomize and it will choose a whole new set of colors, fonts and orientation.


Now, you can go into the various settings, for Font, Layout and Color and tweak it as you wish. 

One of the newer, and more creative features of Wordle is the ability to use the URL of any blog feed, or any other web page that has an Atom or RSS feed.  This is an interesting way to analyze your favorite web page or blog too.

For example, I took the feed of this blog and pasted it into the window.  After several randomizations, I came up with this design that I like a lot.


In the advanced features of Wordle, you are able to really tweak the settings.  If you have any coding or HTML experience, you’ll notice that you are able to weight certain words to show up more frequently and tailor the specific colors using HTML data. 


Also, for our readers who are also teachers, HERE is a fantastic link to 108 Ways to use word clouds in the classroom. 

Here are a few of my favorites:

1.  Create a group word cloud of the entire class or sub groups in the class. This could be in reaction to a discussion, an idea, a reading, or video. Students work in groups to come up with 20-30 descriptive words and then make a word cloud. Using advanced tools they could rank them or color code them.

2.  Have a students analyze their frequency of word usage in a writing piece.

3.  Have students write a book review and put it into a word cloud. Find write ups of books and create word clouds to promote a book.

4.  Put words in a word cloud that will be part of spelling tests and vocabulary investigations.

5.  Students create a word cloud to illustrate their favorite artist or musician and do not include the name. They then present word cloud to class and students try to guess. Finish by including their word cloud as part of a poster with a picture of artist/musician, name of artist/musician, and paragraph about him/her.

So, there you have it.  Wordle is a fun, free and exciting way to work with your words.  Go ahead, take some of your text and make a word cloud.  I think you will be pleased with the results.

If you would like to download a copy of this tutorial, here is a link to the PDF.

9 comments:

  1. I've used this in the classroom, but I think as a writer, it might be useful to paste in a picture book and see where you've overused words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, not even only for 'overused' words, but most 'powerful' words. You could see if a refrain really sticks out, etc. I thought it was really neat to see the two largest words from Dr. Seuss' work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todd, great ideas on ways to use word clouds! I especially liked creating word clouds to promote a book and use spelling words! My grandchildren will like the spelling idea. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A tool all writers/educators can use. Kids love to see things in a graphic manner. I like both Todd & Marcie's applications for writers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for introducing me to this, Todd. I love Marcie's idea of plugging in a picture book text and seeing the overused words -- but do I really want to face the answer? If punctuation marks show up, I'm an exclamation point abuser!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great post. Thanks for doing it. I love word clouds. I wrote a poem and when I pasted it in word cloud, the two biggest words were "NEED LOVE". I cracked up. That was funny :D I endjoyed this post. Thanks for sharing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. My English Language Learners [ELLs] have created outstanding Word Cloud projects to increase vocabulary development. The kids found Word Cloud great for acquiring new English words that were introduced during content area classes [Math, Social Studies and Science]. My current teaching assignment is with 4 and 5 year olds. Such fun to read, write, count, create, discover and play with Mrs. Sue's Shinning Stars. I plan on using Word Clouds with my preschoolers to create their names, ABCs, and *words to know* [high frequence words]. Thank you for the reminder about a great tool that is useful in my classroom and for me as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bet the kiddos go wild with Wordle.
    It is a fun toy that is also educational.
    Wonder how the name derived?
    Kudos on your 1st post Todd Burleson.

    Jan Godown Annino
    Bookseedstudio
    http://bookseedstudio.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've used Wordle as a writer, but I like your ideas for student use. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete