Monday, August 17, 2015

Back to School with Evelyn Christensen, an Interview by Tina Cho


It's Back to School time, and who better to interview, than my wonderful friend who runs the popular web site full of educational publishers for writers--Ev Christensen!


1. For those who might not know you, can you tell us a little about yourself? Were you ever a teacher? 

Yes, teaching was my career and I think I was always a teacher at heart from the time I knew what the concept was. In elementary school, I used to come home from school and ‘teach’ in my pretend school. I was a high school math teacher first. Then I got my doctorate in education and planned to teach math methods to prospective teachers. After ten years at home with my own preschool children, when I was ready to look for a job, I decided I shouldn’t try to tell elementary teachers how to teach if I hadn’t had experience at that level. I intended to get just a couple of years experience, but I fell in love with the little ones and chose to teach at the K-2 level the rest of my career.


2. How did you get into educational writing?

My first book, which I wrote when I was that stay-at-home mom with three young kids, was inspired by a Christmas gift of colored paper clips from one of my children to another. I was fooling around with those clips one day, entertaining the kids, and I thought, "I would be able to do something 'neat' with these. Most math manipulatives are so expensive, but anybody can afford paperclips." The result was a set of fun logic puzzles, called Clip Clue Puzzles, in which you use clues to try to determine the correct color order of the clips in a chain. The set was used for several years in a couple of classrooms before I got the courage to submit it for publication. When I did, I was blessed to have it accepted by the second publisher I sent it to.



3. What prompted you to start your awesome web site, listing educational publishers?

About eight years ago, the thought occurred to me that the results of all the time and energy I’d been expending on researching potential publishers for my own manuscripts should be shared with others. Initially, I was going to do it in book format. I’d seen a very outdated book for teachers on how to get their ideas published, and thought the market needed something more current. I even contacted another author who agreed to write the articles for the book. But for some reason (maybe a nudge from God), I changed my mind and decided to provide the information free on my website. I like being able to help others, and it makes me happy whenever someone tells me the list has been useful to them.
4. What are some of your books that have been published?


Multiplication Mosaics, my most successful book, has its 12th birthday this year. Some other popular books in that series are Division Designs, Addition Adventures, and Subtraction Secrets. Inchimals is one of my personal favorites. It’s a combination of manipulative rods and a write-on/wipe-off activity book and has won several awards.

5. Can you give our audience some educational writing tips that they might not have heard?

  • Most educational publishers prefer sets of books, as opposed to stand-alone titles. That’s because sets sell better for them. So if you have a manuscript you’re trying to get published, if you can possibly stretch it to be even two books, you’ll increase your chances of acceptance. The same is true if you’re querying an editor about an idea for a book you’d like to write. Unless the book will already be part of a series, frame your query in terms of a set of two or more books, and the response is more likely to be positive.


  • If you’re doing research for a book or article, especially if you already have a contract for it, and your research takes you to a place that has an entrance fee (like a museum or zoo), you can sometimes get free admission. I had experience with this for the first time this summer. The term that’s used is “complimentary media ticket.” Of course, some places will say no, but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

  • Being a success at writing for the educational market will likely involve sending out oodles of queries and resumes. A few writers may get prompt responses and receive enough assignments or acceptances to keep them as busy as they want to be. But many writers may feel like much of their correspondence is going into a black hole. Unless you’ve received an outright rejection, I encourage you not to lose hope. I sent out one query more than six years ago. I didn’t hear a single peep from the publisher and had long since written off that effort as futile. Then one bright day this past December, an email appeared in my inbox. An editor was asking if I were still interested in writing the book in their series I had volunteered for in my query all those years ago! So—keep sending out those letters and don’t give up hope!
Nancy I. Sanders, Ev Christensen, and Tina Cho
  • This last tip comes from my friend Nancy I. Sanders in her book Yes You Can Learn How to Write Children’s Books, Get Them Published, and Build a Successful Writing Career.  She suggests studying publishers’ catalogs to find a series written by a variety of authors. Brainstorm other titles that would fit in the series. Then query the publisher and ask if they would be interested in seeing a formal proposal for any of those titles. Since my book contract from my 6-year-old query was based on that tip, I can attest that it’s a good one.

6. What are you working on now?

I’ve just finished proofing the final copy-edited version of Graph Grapplers, a puzzle book using pictographs, bar graphs, and line graphs, to be published by MindWare next month. I’m also working on a picture book about my beloved Kentucky, which will be published hopefully in the fall of 2016.

7. You also publish the Writing for Children's Magazines ezine. How did that start? And how can writers be a part of that?

Jan Fields used to have a wonderful ezine, Kid Magazine Writer, that was very helpful to me when I first started writing for children’s magazines. When she decided to close down her site and suggested someone fill in the gap, I realized this was another way I could ‘pay it forward’ to the children’s writing community.

You can be a part of W4CM by submitting articles that relate in some way to writing or illustrating for children’s or YA magazines. Even if you haven’t been published, if you have experiences or insights that would be helpful to others, you can write an article. The other kind of article I’m looking for from writers is an overview of a sample magazine issue. All you need to write one of these is a recent issue of a magazine and the time to describe what’s in it. Examples can be seen on theW4CM website. Right now, I’m calling for submissions, so this is a great time to send either kind of article.

Just for fun:

favorite color: yellow
favorite flower:  daisy
favorite food:  fruits and veggies
favorite candy: Turtles (chocolate, caramel, pecans)
favorite subject: math
favorite pet: cats
favorite children's book/author: Dr. Seuss

Thanks so much, Ev, for taking the time to do this interview! Please visit Ev's web site if you're interested in writing for the educational market or children's magazines!



42 comments:

  1. Terrific interview, ladies. It's nice to know a little bit more about you, Ev. Thanks for sharing your wisdom in the field of educational writing and magazine writing with other writers both here and through your website and e-zine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! Congratulations again on your GOODNIGHT, ARK! and your soon to be released GOODNIGHT, MANGER!

      Delete
    2. I believe teachers and writers love to share. That's so many writers teach and teachers write. So many of these books will help so many kids and adults! They look really fun.

      Delete
    3. Carolyn, that's a great point! I hadn't ever thought about it that way, but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Great post. Thanks for all the info on the educational market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your taking time to respond, Janet. Best wishes in all your writing to a close neighbor (WV).

      Delete
  3. Love all the concrete tips, too. Thanks, Tina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on all your writing accomplishments, Kathy. I suspect, as a former English teacher/school librarian and as a successful author, you could add your own tips to the list.

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Tina, I'm a big fan of Ev Christensen and all her tips! Also Turtles (the candy), so we have a lot in common. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly, we are kindred spirits, Cathy. Hugs to you!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful ideas, you have helped me consider what might work for me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deirdre. I hope the 'might work for me' turns into 'did work for me.'

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Tina, for inviting me to do the interview! It's an honor to be a part of this wonderful blog. And thank you to all of you who have posted comments. It's always nice to have feedback. Best wishes to all of you in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more of an honor to interview you, Ev! May God continue to bless your writing and life. You've made a big impact in the writing world!

      Delete
  7. Ev is a teacher through and through, as she continues to teach me to this day! Her site is a great resource for all educational writing geared to younger readers.
    I can also attest to the six-year saga of her WIP, now under contract to a major publisher. It tells not only of writer's persistence, but of the speed with which the publishing business moves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mirka, you are such a good friend. And I've learned so much from *you.* Thanks for your sweet post. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. Thanks, Tina and Ev for your helpful advice. Another avenue to explore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best wishes to you, Jarm, both with your writing and homeschooling.

      Delete
  9. Hey, Evelyn,

    It was fun reading about you and how you got started writing. And, as a children's author myself, I appreciate all the tips here, too. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Suzanne! I appreciate you and all you offer to the Working Writers Club.

      Delete
  10. Ev and Tina, What a wonderful interview with some very useful pointers. I didn't realize that teachers may get free or discounted admission to children's exhibits till this weekend. While at the Exploratorium in San Francisco, my son happened to mention that I tutor at our local public school and they gave me discounted admission. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Robin! And even B&N bookstore will give teachers like a 10% discount. Just ask!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for your comment, Robin. Teachers and writers don't get many perks, so it's nice when places recognize and appreciate us for the work we do. (And I remember visiting the Exploratorium years ago with my husband when we were engaged. It's a wonderful museum!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview, Tina! I'd like to send a big thank you to Evelyn for her generosity. I can't even begin to imagine how much work goes into researching and maintaining her websites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome, Claire. Thank you for taking the time to express your appreciation. You're right, the sites do take a lot of work, but I'm glad to do it for any of you who might find something useful there.

      Delete
  13. Thank you so much for all your kind comments, everyone! I so enjoy Ev and her web site!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Tina and Ev, for this wonderful interview. I appreciate knowing more about educational and magazine writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to have you stop by, Charlotte. Thank you for your kind note.

      Delete
  15. Great interview - I really enjoyed learning about how you got started as a writer, Evelyn. And I, and many others, appreciate your wonderful Ezine, children's magazine lists, and educational publisher lists. When I teach teleclasses relating to writing for children's magazines or educational publishers, I always tell everyone that your website is the best place to find up-to-date information. Thank you for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a thoughtful post, Melissa! I appreciate your encouraging words and especially appreciate your recommending my site to others. And you had such a good article for one of the early issues of my ezine! Thank you again for that.

      Delete
  16. Ev is a treasure! And how great it is that Ev's books are all in print!!! Thank you so much for this wonderful interview Ev and Tina. Great tips and a gorgeous photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vijaya! You're always so wonderful to cheer others on! That's a real gift. (Actually, I *wish* all my books were still in print. A bunch of them have been discontinued these past two years, which has made me very sad.)

      Delete
  17. Huge congratulations on all your successes, Ev! And I love the photo...wonderful times with wonderful friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy, for all you do to help other writers, including me! And yes, I have such fond memories of that wonderful time with you and Tina.

      Delete
  18. Informative and encouraging article! I love Evelyn's heart for helping others to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, you are a sweetheart for stopping by and leaving such a thoughtful comment. Hugs to you.

      Delete
  19. Thank you for introducing Ev to us, Tina. She is a treasure trove of information!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope the information will be helpful to you, Patricia. Thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind comment.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This has so much good information it! I met Nancy Saunders and got her book years ago when I with my first MuseOnLineWritersConference. So great to see her again here in your photo and and interview.

    Thanks so much for sharing all this good information. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you've connected with Nancy in the past, Clarbojahn. She really has a wealth of knowledge about writing and publishing, and is always so generous to share.

      Delete
  22. The covers shown here are jazzy & I can tell the exercises for the kiddos are fun.
    Informative post, Tina & Evelyn. Appreciations for gre8t tips that I'm going to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. I feel very honored to get to be a wee part of your wonderful group blog here.

      Delete