Friday, August 7, 2015

Writing Poetry for Kids - Where to Begin? ~ by Patricia Toht

Recently, several of the GROGgers had a discussion about poetry for kids. "How do you get started?" some wondered. "What's the best type of poetry for a beginner to try?" 

I am one of the poets in the GROG group. I've always enjoyed rhyme. My favorite childhood books were rhyming ones.
One of my favorites is missing --
MISS TWIGGLEY'S TREE
by Dorothea Warren Fox 

As an adult, my love of rhyme continues and my collection builds. 
Only a small part of my poetry collection.

And so my first suggestion to hopeful poets is, before you start your poetry-writing engines, prime the pump. Check out a stack of children's poetry collections. Read, read, read! How do the words feel in your mouth? Smooth? Jumpy? What phrases jump out? Revel in the author's word choices.

You can also find books about writing poetry. For all beginners (child and adult alike), I recommend those that are written for children. They boil poetry down to its basic elements and give wonderful examples. I've chosen poetry forms from three of these books to get you started.


From KNOCK AT A STAR: A CHILD'S INTRODUCTION TO POETRY by X.J. Kennedy

A Takeoff Poem (or Parody)

Choose a rhyme that you already know and make some changes to it. Kennedy gives the example of the common childhood verse, "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star." Author Lewis Carroll changed "star" to "bat" and rewrote the rhyme:




Twinkle, twinkle, little bat!
How I wonder where you're at!
Up above the world you fly.
Like a tea tray in the sky.


Because your brain is already familiar verse, it makes it easier to conform to the rhythm. Try Humpty Dumpty, I'm a Little Teapot, Little Miss Muffet, or another childhood favorite.



From HOW TO WRITE POETRY by Paul B. Janeczko

A List Poem

Try a free verse list poem. A free verse has no set rhythm or rhyme.  Pick an interesting topic -- Janeczko includes "The Perfect Friend," "What Cats Do," or "How to Make a Rainbow." Write a list of anything and everything that comes to mind about your topic. Then read over your list. Can you narrow its focus? Maybe "What Cats Do" becomes "What Cats Do at Night." Which words or phrases seem to fit your topic best? Cross off those that are vague or unclear. Focus on word choice - use your thesaurus for more exact words. Try switching around the order of your list. How does the rhythm sound? Is there sense in how the reader moves from one thing on the list to another?

A wonderful example of a list poem is the picture book, THE QUIET BOOK by Deborah Underwood. The author lists all the different types of "quiet," such as "Coloring in the lines quiet," "Hide and seek quiet," and "Bedtime kiss quiet." 






From POEM-MAKING: WAYS TO BEGIN WRITING POETRY by Myra Cohn Livingston

A Haiku

A haiku is a Japanese form with three lines and seventeen syllables. The first and third lines have five syllables and the second line has seven. Traditional haiku celebrate something in nature. Write in present tense, like it is happening right now. Keep the focus narrow. Livingston says to "present a picture of something you want your reader to think about further." She gives this example by Joso:


That duck, bobbing up
from the green deeps of a pond,
has seen something strange...


Choose your words well, with strong verbs and specific adjectives. Writing a powerful haiku takes time and lots of tweaking!


So, fellow GROGgers and other readers, are you ready to try your hand at some poetry? You can do it! Good luck!


20 comments:

  1. I am ready,Patricia, thanks to you. I really applaud the idea of using craft books written for kids to begin. Excellent post. I will refer to it again and maybe use for my pB 101 class w/your permission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. Of course, use it for your PB 101 class! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the useful resources, Patricia. Enjoyed seeing your well-loved childhood poetry books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had such fond memories of the red covered book, Pat, but couldn't for the life of me remember its title. Then one day I visited the library of Todd Burleson and, lo and behold, he had two of the illustrations framed and hanging on his wall (L is for Librarian and T is for Teacher). That led me to find it. Oh, happy day!

      Delete
  3. Concise and helpful. Poetry is a big subject, but you have given us a great jump start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherri. I know you are a poet. Do you ever use instructional poetry books aimed at children?

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Patricia. I actually have HOW TO WRITE POETRY and POEM-MAKING but haven't taken the time to read them yet. You've given me great incentive to read them now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read them, Kristi! I think you'll find them very helpful.

      Delete
  5. Thank you, Patricia, for sharing your experience, examples, and books on writing poetry. I've given it a try, but have so much more to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Charlotte. I'm still learning. In fact, today's daily poem from Jane Yolen was a form I had never heard of before -- a dodoitsu, a Japanese form with four lines and syllables of 7/7/7/5, generally about work or love and often humorous. Time for me to try something new!

      Delete
  6. Great post Patricia! Here are a few books that I like: For the Good of the Earth and Sun Teaching Poetry bu Georgia Heard, Kid's Poems Teaching First Graders to Love Writing Poetry by Regie Routman, (she also has books for grades K, and Gr 2, Gr, 3-4. For the Love of Poetry Literacy Scaffolds, Extensions Ideas, and More by Nancy Lee Cecil, WHAM,It's a Poetry Jam Discovering Pefromance Poetry by Sara Holbrook. (Because after you write them you need to say them out loud!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful suggestions, Janie! Thank you for the new resources. :)

      Delete
  7. Jackpot post, Patricia! Thanks SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post and I loved the book recommendations! Off to add some to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are always more books to add to the wishlist! :)

      Delete
  9. Patricia, you make it sound so easy! Thanks for the book recommendations- I'll be adding to my classroom poetry collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really enjoy the books, Andrea. Have fun with your poetry!

      Delete
  10. A nourishing article for us poetry readers & writers, Patty - appreciations.
    I need to read the X.J. Kennedy book, thanks for sharing.
    I use guided from P.J. & MCL - they boost my poetry writing a big much.
    And your post boosts my day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tend to shy away from writing poetry, Patty, yet I appreciate the lyrical stories filled with imagery. I need to dust off my book How to Write Poetry by Janeczko. Time to choose my words carefully with strong verbs.

    ReplyDelete