Monday, August 3, 2015

The Importance of the Sound of Your Voice: Nuturing Readers and Writers





by Janie Reinart

Infants and children love the sound of their Mommy's or Grandmommy's voice. (Daddy's and Papa's voices too!) Reading, as well as talking and singing, are viewed as important in increasing the number of words that children hear in the earliest years of their lives. This is why we are children's writers! We model reading and writing to our children and grandchildren.


             Drawing and painting are the first form of storytelling.

Pediatricians across the country, are asking parents to read aloud to their children starting when they are infants. The American Academy of Pediatrics recognizes that an important part of brain development occurs within the first three years of a child’s life, and that reading to children enhances vocabulary and other important communication skills



Although I do love technology, I'm a believer of having my grandchildren learn to turn a page before they learn how to swipe a screen. This video looks at future generations that might never leave the house or look away from the screen. We need to nurture being in nature as well as a love for reading and writing.

Current favorite reads of the "littles" in my life include: 

Chalk by Bill Thomson. 


Of course I sent chalk along with the book to long distance grandchildren. After reading the book via FaceTime, my 3 1/2 year old grandson wanted to go outside and draw with the "magic" chalk that Grandmommy sent him. 

Naked and Chicken Cheeks by Michael Ian Black






The humor in Michael's books are perfect for the toddler set. Both make a great read aloud.

A Bird is a Bird by Lizzy Rockwell


Several of the grandchildren now have bird feeders and are identifying birds in their backyards

Wolfie the Bunny by Ame Dyckman


Ame's writing knocks my socks off. Love anything that she writes.
My toddler fan club agrees.

Share book favorites from your children or grandchildren.  Keep letting them hear the sound of your voice and see you reading and writing. 

16 comments:

  1. Great choices of books to share, Janie. You are a rock star Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat! It is the best job I've ever had :)

      Delete
  2. Janie is the ultimate"glam-ma." Such important advice, Janie. And, I admit, you featured some books I have not yet read. Off to the li-berry! TY for this sweet post. Love seeing the kids!!!!!!! (excessive exclamations)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, yeah! I am happy to suggest new books to the super Librarian.

      Delete
  3. Such an important message that needs to be shouted from rooftops! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you also included it's important for kids to see YOU reading and writing. Walk the talk. Show it's fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading to my children, and now I love reading to my grandchildren! I have to get some of these books! Thanks for the great advice! My three year old grandson and I "write" stories together. He tells me what to write, I write it, and then we make a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, what a wonderful thing to share with your grandson--making books! Keep up the good work!

      Delete
  6. This rocks, Janie! (Just like you!) Keep a-reading, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie. So many books and so little time :)

      Delete
  7. Lively look at summer reading in your sweet circle Janie. Lucky grandkiddies, they are.
    And lucky us for sharing these gre8t titles. I know the clever Ame Dyckamn & wonderful Lizzy Rockwell, but the others are now on my list. Appreciations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janie! This wonderful post warms my heart. As a Mom, an Oma {to seven grands} and an educator everything you shared is so important. All it takes is 15 to 20 minutes a day to share the love of reading that equals student success. I agree with you, it is very important for kids to learn how to turn a page before learning how to swipe a screen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suzy your grandkids are so lucky to have such a "Super" Oma :) It's said for adults--If you read just 15 minutes a day – every day, for one year – you can complete 20 books.
    We have to be the examples. :)

    ReplyDelete