Friday, August 21, 2015

Stop, Drop and Roll... by Todd Burleson

Stop, Drop and Roll…
by Todd Burleson


When I was in elementary school, I remember one particular fire prevention assembly we had.  Our whole school gathered in the lunchroom.  We sat on the still sticky floor and waited patiently as the librarian loaded the 16mm film into the projector.  Our principal, a frumpy, hairy faced man said something, but neither I nor most of my friends were listening. I loved the sound the projector made and when those first few clicks of the film started, we were riveted to the glowing light on the screen. This particular film featured Dick Van Dyke, my friends and I knew him as the chimney sweep from Mary Poppins.  The only thing I really remember about that film is the three word phrase that he repeated at least ten times: Stop, Drop and Roll.













Funny how ‘seeing’ something again 35 years later seems so different.  Who knows.  Maybe this was just a snippet that played a thousand times on Saturday mornings as kids across America munched their cereal in their footed pajamas.  


About six weeks ago I was in the process of cleaning out my garage.  I piled all my lumber scraps on our fire pit like I’ve done hundreds of other times.  I put some gasoline on it to start the fire, walked the gas can a safe distance away and bent down to ignite the lumber.  Just as I clicked the igniter on the lighter, a gentle breeze wafted the vapors from the gasoline closer toward me.  In moments, my face, hair and hands were on fire.  


It’s only happened twice in my life, but time slowed so that every second stretched for what seemed like minutes.  I remember scrunching my face to brace for the explosion.  I remember opening my eyes and seeing the flicker of the flames on my face.  I remember turning away from the burn pile and seeing my son fifteen feet away.  I called out for him to help me and felt the searing heat engulf my head.  I took two steps toward my son and then by some miracle thought to pull my t-shirt up and over my head.  As I was doing this, I fell to the ground and rolled.   


As I sat up, I looked back toward the burn pile and saw that the fire had somehow spread across the grass and the nozzle on the plastic gas can was in flames.  All I could think about was that in moments that gas can, which still had gas in it, would explode sending gas and molten plastic like a bomb.  I don’t know how, but I managed to sprint over there and remove the nozzle and get the gas can out of the burn zone.  I yelled for Jack to get the fire extinguisher and in moments the whole mess was extinguished.


I asked my son, “How bad is it?”  Stunned, he really didn’t know what to say.  What do you say when you’ve seen your father’s head on fire?  So, being the nerd I am, I took a photo of my face with my phone.  There were some sections of my face that looked like they had been peeled off like a blister, and my usually pasty complexion was considerably more white but it really didn’t look too bad.  My hair was singed to the scalp.  Eyebrows and eyelashes were neater than they have been in months!  I could feel my face tightening and I knew I needed to get to the hospital.  


As we entered the emergency ward, there were three people standing in line.  They took one look at me and told us to go ahead.  By this time, I my face and hands were throbbing.   After telling the whole story, they started an IV and started the pain meds.  It was decided that I would be sent to the burn unit in Milwaukee.  That was one long ambulance ride, but it felt both good and concerning to be in a place that specialized in this type of care.


The nurses let my wife visit for a few minutes, but soon needed to tend to my wounds.  “Your face is going to swell,” is about all I remember from my doctor’s overview.  By morning my head and neck had swollen to twice its normal size.  My eyes blistered and were swollen shut.  I was a mess, but it could have been so much worse.  I didn’t burn my lungs.  Amazingly I didn’t breathe in the flames or the super heated air.  And, thanks to Dick Van Dyke, I remembered to stop, drop and roll.  


I had 2nd and 3rd degree burns to about 4-6% of my body.  My ears were burned the worst; a complete burn we were told.  Being a side sleeper and someone who benefits immensely from a CPAP machine, those first few weeks were the worst.  And yet, through careful tending and lots of pain medicine I can look back on this and see just how lucky I was and am.  The outpouring of prayers, cards, food and well wishes was simply overwhelming.


So this week I started back to work.  Prior to me doing so, the parent community of my school organized a sign up to have parent volunteers with me all day my first week back.  Amazingly, with all those hard working folks, our Resource Center is as ready as it can be!


I’ve learned a great deal from this event.  First and foremost is that I am a member of so many caring communities.  I learned to accept help.  I learned to be gentle with myself.  


As I begin the year officially next week, I am sensitive to my students and to the parents who do not know what I’ve been through. My face looks pretty good; kinda like I got a really bad sunburn.  But I look a little different.  


I plan to share a couple of titles with my students to help bridge those awkward questions and wonderings.  The first is called:  Stop, Drop and Roll by Margery Cuyler.  It has the refrain that may have saved my life in it and has a fun way of helping kids ease their worries by having a ‘plan’ should something awful, like a fire, happen.




The other book is Two Eyes a Nose and a Mouth by Roberta Grobel Intrater.  This book has faces of all shapes, sizes and races.  I actually ordered a second copy that is in Arabic.  I wanted to share it and focus on the beautiful faces in the pictures.  In this way, I hoped to ease the angst students might have about what had happened to me.  



I’m beginning this school year with a full heart.  I am grateful for so much and know just how lucky I am.  


33 comments:

  1. Todd, Whew! Not one's typical "What I Did on my Summer Vacation" essay. I am so thankful that you are ok and able to do the work you love. Your students will be amazed at your transformed Resource Center, and they will accept your "different" look just fine. Thank you for sharing what happened and for reminding us of an important message. Have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane,
      Thank you!
      I got to introduce the space to all the new families in our school and all the new teachers in our district today. It felt amazing to be able to see the looks on their faces. It was ALL new to them, but to see them interact with it was so encouraging. Now I look forward to sharing it with my colleagues.

      Delete
  2. What a great message. You should be speaker for October's fire prevention month! Continued prayers sent your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. I have never felt more supported, prayed for and appreciated.

      Warmly,
      Todd

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your story. All the best as you start the new year. Your spirit is wonderful and your students are fortunate to work with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary,
      Thank you for the kind words! I love being able to share my writing with this blog and all our readers. We are such an amazing group of people. The thing I'm beginning to understand (it's only taken me nearly half a century) is that we are all pretty amazing humans if we just take time to share.
      Warmly,
      Todd

      Delete
  4. So glad you are on the mend and headed back to school. I'm thinking your students will remember Stop/Drop/Roll for the rest of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I hope so! I think my story will help them remember. I plan to show them Dick Van Dyke too! With the advent of video and DVD; they'll probably remember him as the chimney sweep too!
      Warmly,
      Todd

      Delete
  5. Todd, this brought tears to my eyes just reading this. We are blessed to have you amongst us. Todd is back and we celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a kind person. Thank you. I'm blessed in so many ways. Thank you for the support and for the awesome group and audience we've built!

      Sincerely,
      Todd

      Delete
  6. Todd, Thank God you remembered what to do and are on the mend. Sending more prayers and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janie,
      I truly heard Dick Van Dyke's words in my mind. I hope I can help bring the message to a new generation.
      Sincerely,
      Todd

      Delete
  7. What an amazing story of courage, hope and gratitude. My prayers and best wishes go out to you Todd. Have a wonderful school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene,
      Thank you! I'm so blessed to be able to share with this group.
      Sincerely,
      Todd

      Delete
  8. Todd, thanks for sharing your story. It's difficult to read, but so grateful you are on the road to recovery. Many prayers continue as you recover and continue your busy schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy,
      Thank you! I agree. I think its important to tell the story. It was very therapeutic for me to write it; painful for sure, but I hope through it someone else will be prepared for such an emergency.
      Sincerely,
      Todd

      Delete
  9. Dear Mr. Todd,
    I have been anticipating this & wowza - as typical for you, it includes gre8t book titles!!
    Appreciations for sharing this journey & miracle.
    Also it's -
    Another reason to love that Chief Sweep - Dick Van Dyke from good ol' Mary Poppins! (And so much more - he's still dancin' by the way at nearly 90.)
    Another reason to love your exhuberance & pluckiness.
    Another reason to love your family.
    Another reason to love your school family.

    Hope your 2015-2016 is the best school ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Such kind words. Thank you!
      I am ready. I am so excited for the year. I am so excited and blessed to be upright and whole.
      Warmly,
      Todd

      Delete
  10. What a scary story, and I'm sooo glad it wasn't worse! It's good to hear that you'll be back in action at your school soon. Another title you may want to share with MG readers is "Wonder," the book about the boy with the extreme facial deformity who enters a mainstream school. My nieces and everyone else I know LOVES this book. I've got to get my own copy and read it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jilanne,
      Yes! We love Wonder in our school; it's actually part of the socio-emotional curriculum. Thanks for reminding me of the title. It was the most checked out book in our library last year!
      Sincerely,
      Todd

      Delete
  11. Wow, Todd! We are so lucky that you are safe, although sporting an awesome scorpion scar from what I hear. :) It's so like the wonderful man you are to be thinking of your students and their reaction, and to address their concerns with some terrific books. Continue to heal well, my friend. You've also solved a mystery for me. I've always wondered why, when I think of this particular fire safety information, my brain always comes up with "Stop, Drop, and Roll, Dick, Roll" -- it was Dick Van Dyke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia,
      I have a big smile on my face! Thank you. I am so excited to begin the year. Wouldn't it be awesome if this year's fire prevention assembly featured Dick Van Dyke? Come to think of it, I should present this year! Yes, my scorpion scar is fading...however, it will be there for at least a year or two as my face continues to heal.
      Sincerely,
      Todd

      Delete
  12. Todd, I'm thankful you are on the mend and doing the things you love best. Stop, Drop and Roll will stay with me for the rest of my life. Sending positive vibes for a great year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte,
      It worked! I'm glad to hear that it will stick with you. I hope you NEVER have to use it. Yep, I'm thrilled to be back to the beginning of another school year. That sense of hope and promise fills me with joy. Starting so many new initiatives in our school makes it all the more exciting. So grateful to be upright and whole and ready to go.

      Sincerely,
      Todd

      Delete
  13. So thankful you survived and were not burned more severely. Glad you are back in the saddle, Todd. Sure makes you appreciate what you have, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jarm,
      It sure does.
      Best wishes to you!
      Todd

      Delete
  14. Stop, drop and roll is a simple fire safety technique that I, too recall learning about in school. It's one of those important lessons that one hopes to not have to use. I am so pleased to know that your remembered these three important words. Continue thoughts and prayers for your recovery and well being, Todd. Teaching fire safety is so important.
    All the best for a successful school year. Hugs,
    ~Suzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzy, you are so right. I am sure my students will now associate the three word phrase with me; maybe that is a good thing; but I hope they never have to use it.

      Sincerely,
      Todd

      Delete
  15. I am so relieved to hear that you are moving forward, Todd! I have been praying for you so much. Thank you for sharing your beautiful writing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie,
      Thank you for the kind words. I'm back and ready to rock this new school year!
      Sincerely,
      Todd

      Delete
  16. So glad to hear you are back on your feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darshana,
      It is good to be back. Getting better everyday. Thanks for the kind words.
      Sincerely,
      Todd

      Delete