Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Critique Mystic: What I've Learned by Kathy Halsey

What are the elements of a good group? How do you find a great critique group? How do you keep a good group going?  In this "Kat Chat," I'll explain what I've learned in the last 2.5 years.

 The Not-So-Good
As a new writer, I joined an eclectic group at my local indie bookstore. I had to drive 45 minutes each way once a month to get advice like "fun," "good title," "main character needs work." This group included those who wrote YA, adult, erotic, flash fiction, short stories, and romance. When I heard that a WIP about my Corgi should be in the shape of a dog, I knew I was driving too far for too little. 
A picture book in the shape of Wiley Corgi? I think not.
What I Learned
1. It can be important to be with those who write in your own genre, especially in the beginner's stage.
2. Input and output should be somewhat equal or at least substantive. My feedback did not equal the drive time.
3. Trust your instinct when it's time to go. I parted amicably with this group as I lucked into an all picture book critique group with a published author.
A MUCH Better Fit
I landed in a group of four other picture book writers who found each other via our SCBWI chapter. Dianne White and I had met at SCBWI event and hit it off. We joined forces with an illustrator/writer, a middle grade/picture book writer, a writer going through a formal program, and one more seasoned writer. We met monthly at the same indie bookstore as my former group and were able to attend SCBWI LA in 2014 and celebrate Dianne's first book, BLUE ON BLUE. Sadly, I had to leave these fab writers behind due to a cross-country move.
Dianne White, Kathy, and Elizabeth Saba, SCBWI LA 2014
The Takeaways Here
1. If one can meet face-to-face with a potential critique partner before joining a group, it is easier to see if you "jive."
2. Join a group with writers with more experience than you. 
3. Join a group with writers who have different experiences, too. Tanja Bauerle, our illustrator/writer, shared so much. She helped us see the illustrator's POV in our discussions.

The In-between
I have usually been in more than one critique group at a time. Some of the online groups fizzled out for various reasons: moves, re-evaluation of writing goals, lack of commitment to a group, or life changes. These groups served their purposes at the time and were valuable to me.
More Knowledge
1. Know that groups may naturally fizzle out or even reconnect in time.
2. Make an effort to stay connected in some way to members whose work you admire or whose critiques improve your craft. Andrea J. Loney, Lee and Low New Voices Winner, Pam Vaughn, and Lindsay Bonilla are still writer friends I can go to with any work in progress. 
3. Don't assume that critique partners will necessarily be friends (It's a bonus if you become friends), or that you did something "wrong" if a group breaks up.
The Present- A Real Present
Through my connections with Kristen Fulton's WOW nonficpic FB group, I met most of my current critique partners. We added members over time, we critique in smaller groups or on a one-to-one basis, and we all came together this year at the WOW Retreat 2015 in Georgia. We have some sort of magic glue that keeps us bound. People were even wondering how they could join our group! (Pam Courtney, Jackie Wellington, Kathleen Birmingham, Stephanie Thompson Box, and now Mona Pease.) This group of "sistas" as I call them are friends and honest, talented partners who help me grow. 
Pam and Kathy, Wow Retreat 2014
Kathleen and Mona, Wow Retreat 2015







The Critique Mystic

1. We all hail from different parts of the country: Mississippi, Atlanta, Ohio, Phoenix, Maine, Florida. This added a very unique regional component.
2. We have established rules and a formula to critique thanks to a super session at WOW Retreat 2015 by Kendra Marcus and Minju Chang. (One nugget: You are a consumer. Get what you need from your critique group.
3. We are dedicated to the goal of finishing each other's manuscripts  so that they are submission-worthy.
4. We bring different skills to the table: plot whisper, fixer of overall problems, lens of a former librarian, and 2 teachers of little ones.
I hope this post helps you see the components good critique groups  and what you can learn from your former groups. I would love to hear your critique group stories or suggestions in the comments.   





34 comments:

  1. Excellent advice! Once you find the right group it's magical! Hugs to you and all your writing sistas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thrilled you cam ever to read this, Linda.

      Delete
  2. "Belonging" to the right critique group(s) is as important and sweet as the topping you choose for you ice cream sundae! (I'm not a chocolate!) Yes, we have lots of options, some fit better than others. Then there's the choosing. You choose a what you think is the best fit for you, writing wise and personality wise. Then you wait, and hope they choose you!!! I'm glad my WOW friends chose me! Linda Skeers, said it, "it's magical"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make some excellent points, Kathy! "Input and output should be somewhat equal." Love that, though it's not always so easy to find in a group! I think you have to be willing to leave when it's not working and keep looking for a good fit.

    Hope springs eternal...and apparently, critique groups, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you have to be willing to move on, too. Cathy and Cathy on a stick, I am glad you came by today.

      Delete
  4. Great tips Kathy! I would add having a writing partner (in same genre) is excellent too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas on what to look for in a critique group and that it's ok to leave it necessary. Glad you have an awesome group of 'sistas'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I include you as part of my extended family, Leslie.

      Delete
  6. Great post! and wonderful to finally meet you in person @ WOW. Yes - good advice for folks looking for crit group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, we did not get to spend enough time together! Sigh.

      Delete
  7. Splendid title & blog, Kathy.

    About the sweet Corgi - you could write a SHAPE poem, yes!

    Great to see these photos & hear all the vibrant connections.

    I have one all-children's lit facetime group, which I set up years ago & we are still clickin' & tickin' & one newer multi-genre group, which I was invited into & am boosted by equally.

    I loved your clever line about realizing your were driving too far for too little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a shape poem about Wiley. He does have a story I've written, Jan, just not in his shape. Appreciate your support.

      Delete
  8. Love this, Kathy! Great nuggets for someone who is looking to form or improve their own critique group...happy writing and revising, sweet lady. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vivian, yo must have a clone! You are everywhere. TY for reading.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for the insight for finding the right critique group, Kathy :) You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy, this was a post that helped me put a lot in perspective. I've been in a good group that, due to various 'life changes' just kinda fizzled. I hadn't realized how much I need a critique group till now, and realizing the points in your post, I can find one that is a good fit for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yay, Damon. Hope you find your group. This post was worth it if 1 person had an insight. Thank you, thank you.

      Delete
  11. I'm still looking. I found a group that does children's writing, but I'm the only PB writer. I checked SCBWI's website for groups and found none in the Temp/Chandler area. I'll keep looking and writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cassie, do you know Kelly Klose or Todd McQueen? They are marvelous AZ PB writers and hang at The Newton.

      Delete
  12. Kathy: After listening to Kendra and Minju's excellent presentation at the WOW Retreat, I began evaluating my participation in many face to face and on-line critique partners and groups. As a writer, I want to learn and grow and am doing so by giving and receiving critiques. Just like you, I finally am realizing I am driving too far for too little. Not quite certain how writers of YA fantasy can best critique my picture book manuscripts. There must be a good match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was an awe-inspiring preso! You deserve the BEST, Suzy.

      Delete
  13. Good stuff, Kathy. I'm in 3 online picture book groups, and each one offers wonderful help in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YO are on lucky writer, Tina. And your groups are lesser by YOU.

      Delete
  14. Great post, Kathy! You and are on the same wavelength, girl. My next post will give you a reference book to use for writing groups. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great advice! I am really thankful that my critique group is a great one for me! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Eric, dowsers, glad you read. I admire you.

      Delete
  16. Good points here, Kathy. Thanks! So good to see you at WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you. Glad you had more sleep this year. Did not get to chat tho. Boo.

      Delete
  17. Critique Mystic, I like that. You offered some great advice. Love your perspective on the right group at the right time, with the right people's motivation. Love this. well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, we have that mystic, thanks to yo getting us together.

      Delete